Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: my babys name...  (Read 11600 times)

Offline Iffy

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
    • Everents
Re: my babys name...
« Reply #60 on: 14 February 2012, 10:29:45 PM »
Quote from: "Screaminemogirl"
my main plan right now is to buy silver or gold
No. Gold is a terrible investment. It's risky and it barely keeps up with inflation.
If you feel you need to invest in something, mutual funds are probably the better idea. However, even then you'll want some personal finance education from someone who knows what they're talking about before you get into that.
(19:01:38) Tyran: There is a time and a place for unfunny idiocy?
(19:01:56) nikki: Yes, Tyran: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/3-general/

Offline sylae

• Administrator
  • Autarch
    • sylae
    • Calamity Refuge
« Reply #61 on: 15 February 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
Quote from: "Iffy"
No. Gold is a terrible investment. It's risky and it barely keeps up with inflation.
lol no. Gold has gone from $300 to over $1000 just in the last ten years. Whitehall got fucked over when GSM (the local gold mine and whitehall's only big "thing") shut down because they couldn't make a profit. Now the shit's so expensive they've reopened b/c they can now make a profit.

Oh hey, a chart:

The blue line (KGX) is the value of gold taken by averaging the currency values in various nations, the red line is USD. Yes, inflation has happened, but it didn't really effect the value of gold.

Assuming that gold continues to rise (which it will, as gold is used in high-dollar computer components, jewelry, and god knows what else), not buying gold would be stupid.

I wouldn't invest in silver though. This economy thing has really dropped it and there's no really well known use for it outside luxury items. I mean silver is used in a lot of film-related stuff, but since everything is going digital...

Platinum might be something to look into. If the auto industry gets its shit together, platinum will definitely go up, as it's used in catalytic converters to stop Al Gore from going on a killing spree. With tightening regulations, this could cause a huge increase. The only thing I can see fucking this up is the electric car, but that's still a ways away. While we're at it, maybe look to the left of the transitions at substances like lithium. If portable electronics keep being sold, lithium will go up (batteries).

But yeah, before making any notable investments, talk to someone who actually knows this shit. There's a lot more to it than buy low, sell high.
(16:27:39) Iffy: Sylae, I'm being fucked so hard right now.

(22:29:53) Iffy: I ALREADY CLOP TO MLP.

(18:00:48) Lobehold: SYLAE YOU BITCH
(18:00:50) Lobehold: REMOD ME

(19:01:00) Dintiradan: But still, as a general rule of thumb, RPGs shouldn't have a stat for penis size.

(17:12:58) Arancaytar just saw a disembodied vulva swallow a person whole.

Offline Dantius

• George Armstrong Custer
  • Ermarian
« Reply #62 on: 15 February 2012, 06:46:41 PM »
Iffy is actualy correct, W.  Gold is only an attractive investment if you take a long-term negative view of the economy a la Ron Paul.  Stocks are a much better way to actually make money:

As you can see, with the exception of the Great Depression and a brief period in the 1980's, stocks vastly outperformed gold, which is to be expected, as stocks main function is to make stockholders lots of money.  Gold, however, is really only good as a hedge against massive portfolio losses, which is why people buy it in the first place.  However, gold prices are going to be on a downward tailspin soon, as everybody's already cut their losses and dumped stock, and are now selling their gold to make up for that, so supply and demand dictates that price goes down.  Honestly, I'd be shocked if gold is still above $1,000 five years from now, and it should be quite cheap a decade on, which is when you would want to buy it.  If we presume that the basic financial circumstances now are similar to those in 1980, which is reasonable (proof left as an exercise to the reader of course), then buying gold is a baaaad idea, since it will only decrease in value relative to stocks, and now is the time to put a couple k towards some blue chips instead.

Plus, gold doesn't cut you checks every three months just for owning it, like many stocks do, so that another strike against it.  Really, the only time that you should be buying goldis when nobody's talking about it because the're too busy yammering about "DOW 30,000 OMG" to notice that everything's going to go to shit it five years.  Then you phone up the broker and get some gold ETF's  (don't buy physical gold, security costs too much and you get screwed over when you try to sell it.  I tried an ingot and the commission took a good 10% chunk of MY money). 

tl;dr, Don't buy gold now, buy stocks now and buy gold in ten years.
"They that approve a private opinion, call it opinion; but they that mislike it, heresy: and yet heresy signifies no more than private opinion."

-Thomas Hobbes

Offline (Inni)

• Spam Dragon
« Reply #63 on: 25 February 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
While I realize how pointless it is to comment on something I know absolutely nothing about, wouldn't it be better to invest in property? Both stocks and gold carry some amount of risk to them, and with a child you cant really afford those risks. It seems like the best thing to do would be buying a piece of land, then waiting until you have a stable income that provides enough buffer to be able to start investing.

Offline Screaminemogirl

• Spam Dragon
« Reply #64 on: 10 March 2012, 10:56:29 PM »
I wasn't actually thinking gold would be good at all; it's far too expensive. But i prefer natural investments because i don't trust anything else. Our money and stocks are mostly based on natural pure metals. Hence i'd prefer that kind of investment. Although i do expect a complete colapse of anything resembling freedom or an economy within the next year maybe two; in which case having stock in something actually valuable and not a piece of paper that says you own something would become a lot more useful. And that's just how i feel. Also i did know quite a bit about finances to begin with i just figured jewels might mention something i havent thought of. :) i do appreciate you guys trying to help out; eveen if it doesn't seem like it sometimes.
In the end who will speak out for you, if you don't speak out for others. Did you do the right thing all the time? Did you stand up for the right people or the fascist jerks?

Offline Screaminemogirl

• Spam Dragon
« Reply #65 on: 10 March 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
Also land is far too expensive. I was just thinking mostly silver.
In the end who will speak out for you, if you don't speak out for others. Did you do the right thing all the time? Did you stand up for the right people or the fascist jerks?

Offline Wrath

• High Mage
    • wrath-
    • Tilde Wrath
« Reply #66 on: 11 March 2012, 09:18:15 AM »
Silver is relatively inexpensive in comparison to gold. It has been staying around the $30-35/oz mark for the most part of this and last year. However, as far as investments go, I would have to advise against this. Keep in mind that the idea of hard currency is that it is fixed, in that the amount incoming into the pool of that substance is low. Also keep in mind that the price of both gold and silver has shot up since the start of the recession, consequently, if the economy recovers, which is has been doing since Bush left, the price of the silver you buy will be worth a lot less. Before the recession silver was, what? $20/oz for the last thirty years? Now, if you want silver just because you think it's cool and want some silver around for moral support, great. But it's not actually going to transform itself into bullets and solve any financial problems that come up.

If the idea of an investment is to put in money at a point in time and then get more money later, then there is only really one reason you should invest in hard currency now when the price is high and that is if you think the dollar is about to become worthless. Which even I doubt will happen. And if it does, the amount of silver you can afford certainly wouldn't help you. :P

From a tactical standpoint, I have to agree with whoever said property. Although you wouldn't be able to sell it now due to the real estate market, there have been an extreme number of foreclosures all around the country. Meaning the last owner couldn't make the payment, so in some cases you can buy them for whatever payment they had left to make, which can be very low. So, just as the nature of flipping goes, you can buy a $120,000 house for $30,000, because that's the amount the last owner had left to pay, spend $10,000 on renovations and sell it for $215,000 in five years, generating a profit of $175,000 less taxes and mortgage.

Does that mean you should go out and buy a $120,000 house for $30,000? Well, not necessarily. Like with all investments you are betting on things to get better, that's essentially the definition of an investment, whether it's gold, starting a business, stocks, anything. It's possible...it's even probable that it will take longer than five years for the real estate market to improve, and during that time you will not only have to pay a mortgage (you don't actually think people buy these things in full do you?), but also property taxes. But, again, from a neutral and tactical standpoint, it has the highest payout and also the highest probability to generate one.

Offline Jewels

• Ender
    • http://www.truesite4blades.com/Home/index.html
« Reply #67 on: 12 March 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
Although i do expect a complete colapse of anything resembling freedom or an economy within the next year maybe two

Interesting. Discuss.

If you expect it, are you making provisions for it?

Offline Screaminemogirl

• Spam Dragon
« Reply #68 on: 16 March 2012, 01:13:30 PM »
Indeed we have been getting things together for total colapse. We have a lot right now; not that you can have too much in preperation. But yes my family and i have done a lot in preperation for this. And i choose silver because it can be sold f

Offline Screaminemogirl

• Spam Dragon
« Reply #69 on: 16 March 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
(Stupid smart phone!) And used for currency if needed. It was actually 16 per oz at the beging of the recession. If you think it's been leveling out you are very wrong. No offense meant but the recession is far from over. Although political matters should just be left out of this entirely (it's one of those topics that i can't guarentee civility).  But silver will be useful even if i am wrong and nothing colapses and i posibly lose money on it. It's still worth it.

Offline Dantius

• Ermarian
« Reply #70 on: 17 March 2012, 06:17:29 PM »
  But silver will be useful even if i am wrong and nothing colapses and i posibly lose money on it. It's still worth it.

Losing money on a bad investment is by definition "not worth it".  I mean, really.

People who are telling you that society is about to collapse in the next decade due to [inflation/2012/pandemics/environmental disaster/Rapture/zombies], (pick one according to their political/religious beliefs as appropriate) are flat out wrong, and you'd be a fool to try and have the last laugh by short-selling Western civilization.
"They that approve a private opinion, call it opinion; but they that mislike it, heresy: and yet heresy signifies no more than private opinion."

-Thomas Hobbes

Offline Wrath

• High Mage
    • wrath-
    • Tilde Wrath
« Reply #71 on: 17 March 2012, 10:18:54 PM »
Thank you, Dantius. Once again, I think you're naive, Erin. And like I said before, even if society collapses and furthermore even if silver and gold will be used as currency, you will not be able to get enough to save you. And, once again, if society collapses the currency standard is going to be food, tractor parts, gasoline, clean water...you know, usable shit. Which silver is not.  It's okay to be a little concerned and not put all your eggs in one basket, but I implore you to at least thing about what will be valuable if what you are worried about happens. Just think through it. Societal collapse redefines norms. One of these norms is the definition of "treasure and "valuables" Turn off your television and stop being brainwashed.

The depression was far worse than this and the country was not collapsing. It sucked to live then, but we were not close to anarchy or destruction of the dollar...granted that was before Nixon, but still. The worst of the recession is behind us. In two years, we'll be back to 2003. In four years, we'll be back to the 90s. Waste money thinking you're dying. Be proud. Then realize you're wrong.  But by all means keep watching Mr.  Doomsdays videos and track your horoscope on the Mayan calendar.

Offline sylae

• Administrator
  • Autarch
    • sylae
    • Calamity Refuge
« Reply #72 on: 17 March 2012, 11:39:40 PM »
Quote from: "Neb"
Thank you, Dantius. Once again, I think you're naive, Erin. And like I said before, even if society collapses and furthermore even if silver and gold will be used as currency, you will not be able to get enough to save you. And, once again, if society collapses the currency standard is going to be food, tractor parts, gasoline, clean water...you know, usable shit. Which silver is not.  It's okay to be a little concerned and not put all your eggs in one basket, but I implore you to at least thing about what will be valuable if what you are worried about happens. Just think through it. Societal collapse redefines norms. One of these norms is the definition of "treasure and "valuables" Turn off your television and stop being brainwashed.

The depression was far worse than this and the country was not collapsing. It sucked to live then, but we were not close to anarchy or destruction of the dollar...granted that was before Nixon, but still. The worst of the recession is behind us. In two years, we'll be back to 2003. In four years, we'll be back to the 90s. Waste money thinking you're dying. Be proud. Then realize you're wrong.  But by all means keep watching Mr.  Doomsdays videos and track your horoscope on the Mayan calendar.

(19:01:00) Dintiradan: But still, as a general rule of thumb, RPGs shouldn't have a stat for penis size.

Offline Iffy

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
    • Everents
« Reply #73 on: 18 March 2012, 12:56:05 AM »
Dammit, I was sniped with the part about useable shit being more of a currency than gold or silver. Also about the part where the American economy is very, very fucking sturdy. It may go down, but it always comes up. And...well everything that was stated by Dantius and Neb, really. I should've bothered to reply faster. :P
(19:01:38) Tyran: There is a time and a place for unfunny idiocy?
(19:01:56) nikki: Yes, Tyran: http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/index.php?/forum/3-general/

Offline Screaminemogirl

• Spam Dragon
« Reply #74 on: 26 March 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
once again i said jewels could give me financial advice because she has experience. i have my own plans they won't change even if you insult me... i don't watch tv i haven't for many years. but thank you for reminding me why i don't visit the site much anymore.

Offline sylae

• Administrator
  • Autarch
    • sylae
    • Calamity Refuge
« Reply #75 on: 26 March 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
Jewels isn't the only person here with financial experience, Dantius, for example, is a 40 yo engineer who makes six digits (right?).

Anywho, that's all I have to say on this matter.

Offline Wrath

• High Mage
    • wrath-
    • Tilde Wrath
« Reply #76 on: 26 March 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
When opinions differ, the opposing view is not to be confused with an insult. This is information and educated speculation, do not confuse the intent, and do not dismiss the warning Dantius gave. This was all friendly advise and, although it does differ from your opinion, you did ask for it.

Offline Dantius

• Ermarian
« Reply #77 on: 26 March 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
Quote from: "Sylae"
Jewels isn't the only person here with financial experience, Dantius, for example, is a 40 yo engineer who makes six digits (right?).

Anywho, that's all I have to say on this matter.

42 now.  Or will be, in a week. 

So yeah, some qualification to speak on these matters.

-Thomas Hobbes

Offline ADoS

• BANNED
  • The Lost
  • Spam Dragon
« Reply #78 on: 26 March 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
Invest all your money in News Corp. That there's some sound financial advice.

Offline BMA

« Reply #79 on: 06 April 2012, 01:27:55 AM »
This post is just to see what a post of mine will actually look like.

Sorry for the postal mismatch and wrong topic, but I'm new here. And this is *so* different from Spidweb.

:) ;D 8)  :gold:
nuts.

Offline sylae

• Administrator
  • Autarch
    • sylae
    • Calamity Refuge
« Reply #80 on: 06 April 2012, 08:45:17 AM »
Quote from: "Almighty Doer of Stuff"
Invest all your money in News Corp. That there's some sound financial advice.
Actually, that's not horrible advice. There'll always be crazy people out there, and if you don't mind supporting insanity and hatred, I'd imagine it'd be pretty stable :/

SMF 2.0.14 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Scratch Design by DzinerStudio

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.